Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Soulful sounds of Frankie J

So I attended the Album Release party for Frankie J's second spanish album debut lastnight at Villa. I had a nice time despite the fact that I had to drink soda water all night. Not for any health reasons but Chivas was sponsoring the event and so the open bar was all Chivas and wine, not even beer. I did not opt for wine because it makes me sleepy so I chased down my appetizers with Club Soda...lol...lol...

Villa is a nice local, very cozy and chic. I have been there several times for other events and parties so I like the atmosphere. The event began at 6pm but by 7pm, the place was packed with industry people. Over 150 people showed up. I got to see many people whom I have lost touch with since I left the business and met knew people who have just come into it. Frankie arrived at about 7:30pm and was lead to the second level for press and pictures. At about 8:15pm, an announcement was made that Frankie was going to head to the podium to speak to the audience and describe the album and what it meant to him to make it. It was short and sweet but the mic should have been louder. I could not get over how rude most of the people were while we has talking. It was as if he had to yell over everyone else voice because some people just wouldn't shut up. I was amazed by that. The lack of respect that he recieved by his own peers threw me off. How self centered can people get to not even give their full attention to the one person who you are there to see. I was annoyed but enjoyed it none the less.


Aside from Frankie J being the only artist, the Barrio Boyz also attended the party. They recorded a track on Frankie's album. I wasn't able to take a pic with them because they were being bombarded by all the press wondering if they were going to get back together and record a new labum so I took this pic while they were doing press. They still look good.


After all the mingling and networking it was time for me to hit the road but not before I approached Frankie and asked him to take this pic with me. He is adorable. Short ofcourse but so cute and very humble. I wished him luck (which I am sure he doesn't need) on the album and declared myself a fan.

I picked up my goodie bag with press kit and cd and was on my way home. While waiting for the 4 train in Grand Central station, it hit me. I really do miss working in the music biz but it's so over bearing. I think maybe I will start my own Event Planning company, something I have been considering for the longest. I thrive in all this, its where I belong but sometimes it just doesn't pay the bills so maybe I will start slow. Rebuild contacts, attend more functions and do some thorough research before I go way in over my head.

Oh well, at least I had fun.

No comments: