Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Heavy Dose of Puerto Rican History....

is what I got from the film "Yo Soy Boricua, Pa'que Tu Lo Sepas!" directed by Rosie Perez. It was amazing! This documentary featured a little bit of everything from the Taino Genocide to the Young Lords, from "Operation Bootstrap" to the Sterilization of Puerto Rican women in order to minimize reproduction. I was completely in awe of how detailed and well put together this documentary was. I give Rosie props for the great research and honest portrayal of her Island's history. I took PR Studies in College and they didn't discuss half of what I saw in the film. All Nuyoricans need to watch this movie! It will be airing on the IFC Network on June 12. Go to www.TribecaFilmFestival.org for more information.

Prior to attending the movie screening, I went to the Pre-Party that took place at Armani Casa in Soho. That was so much fun. I got to meet Mos Def, Jimmy Smits, Liza Colon and her husband David Zayas, Ruben Santiago-Hudson and Zoe Saldana. I got to takes pics with all except Zoe Saldana who was hanging out with Nina-Sky. Then after the screening we were off to 323 for the after party. Wow was it crowded. My friends and I got a table and just chilled out and took more pics, by 3am we were ready to go home. I will post the pics up soon.

Woke up Saturday morning and began taking my antibiotics. Yes, antibiotics! Why? A bad case of Foot Fungus that I contracted from a pedicure gone wrong. My foot swelled so much it looked like a stump. I was in so much pain but thank goodness I caught it in time. The downfall now is that I have to take antibiotics for 10 days, why is that a downfall you ask? I leave to Miami on Thursday for the weekend. It means I will have to remain sober on my vacation!!! Arghhhh!!
I won't even be able to have a drink in honor of my celebration with my boyfriend. Virgin PiƱa Coladas for me. At least I will still have the sun.

On Sunday, my boyfriend and I decided to go to Target and purchase luggage for our trips. We bought a good set on sale and then decided to take the kids to my favorita Pizza place, Pizza Hut! We had an early dinner then drove home. A nice ending to a relaxing weekend. At least now I am no longer limping and my allergies have calmed down.

Packing is what I have to look forward to tonight and tomorrow and Thursday we will be on a plane to Miami Beach where the sun awaits me. Ahhhhh!

Caio!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chica.....why hadn't you told me you had a blog! How cool? I will read it from now on! I will also share it with my freinds.
La Eve!

Anonymous said...

J: You go girl......I love your blog. So glad that you are doing well and I am excited for you that you are thinking about buying a house. Your love life is great! you deserve it Nena! La Eve! Boston